Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Allll day, drawing, drawing...

So, the dragon is coming along... I had (foolishly) anticipated getting the first prototype cut today...but as ever, I make it more and more complex and end up spending the entire day in front of my laptop, adjusting tiny lines and drinking coffee...

But it's definitely getting there! I've calculated the size, if it's cut from 3mm material...approx 60cm (inc tail) with the body coming in at about 30cm. Nice size I think :) Like a small dog- a Lap Dragon, if you will...

It will have three toes and a rear-facing 'thumb' on each of it's four feet, individually articulated, and designed to steal treasure! and tree branches... I've got a goal in my head- a photoshoot of the first one perching in a tree, grasping branches and about to take flight... But there's a long way to go!

So, pictures-
This gives an idea of the scale (no pun intended) though I have thought about engraving scales onto the material...

.
I want the back legs to pass over the front, so it can curl up like the Ratties, so it's got quite a wide rear end, but I think that's good...stable...for flying and such... haha

Took quite a long time to get the drawings right for the back legs, having complete freedom is great, but getting it to look 'right' in my mind is actually harder! These are a sort of combination of dog/human style legs, with bird-feet. 

And just one layer... abstract, no? ;) 

Saturday, 21 September 2013

Next Elephant!

Few more adjustments needed on the laser cut shape! But I think I've cracked the trunk, so to speak... 

There's only a tiny little space where it attaches to the main body of the head. Really, I need miniature crab-people to go in and hold it in place while the glue dries. But not having them available I've substituted needles for fingertips, and voila! Fully working trunk :) 


Inspecting a bolt...

Monday, 16 September 2013

Turquoise Ratty!

Mixed this colour myself, really happy with it! It has a blue iridescent sheen over the top, so looks quite magical! Silver painted teeth, tail tip and bubble accents (reminded me of a mermaid!)






Saturday, 14 September 2013

DragonWings!

And I've also been working on these... I've been chewing over the problem of 3D rotation with wings- I didn't want to cop out and just have them flap up and down...when a bird/bat/dragon has so much more expression and movement than that... But I've come up with this little idea of a circular mount, and a 90degree twist of rotation (I'm sure there are more technical terms than these!) so it can move quite a lot!

Needs bluking up a bit to strengthen it, but I'm SO happy with how it opens and closes and looks in general! So there will be Dragons on the way, as well as flying Horses/Rats/Hares and maybe even Elephants! Haha.

I'm still (slowly!!) working on the bird-style wings too! So I could have a Devil/Angel theme I suppose...

Elephant!

Very first prototype mock-up :) 

First trunk/ears!! Really pleased with this for a first- attempt! 

And the whole second prototype. The ears/trunk can be posed with wire through them. Still got a few little tweaks to be made, but I'm quite happy!